Monday, July 24, 2006

07-22-2006 - Down to business



On Saturday, I got up early and headed out to get parts to properly vent the valve covers. While in town I dropped by to see Jerry Bolke at Classic Touch, who has been my barber since high school. We went for a quick ride, and I showed my ineptitude for shifting at the correct RPM or being smooth.

Once I returned from town, it was time to get to work. Flash came over and we installed the PCV valve which we think will help the engines oil leak issues. Flash also came up with some screws to correctly mount a lisence plate cover, and then I used a Dremmel to cut them to the correct length so that it wouldn't damage the bumper cover.

Finally, I routed the wire from the distributor to the front of the car and installed the Dakota Digital tach converter box. The installation seemed very straight forward and it wasn't long before all of the wiring was routed and connected, then it was time to try it out. Well, that's where the fun ended... I ended up spending hours debugging it and trying different things, to no avail. It was the weekend and I expected that no help would be available at Dakota Digital, but I will get with them this week if I can't solve this myself. According to thier install sheet, I should be able to measure 1-20VAC at the TACH connection from the distributor, but I get less than 1 VAC at the distributor. I plan to install another coil and try it again. Also, once the cover to the coil had been removed it looked as if it had been cooked at some point. Around 9PM, Jody Etchison came over and helped me debug the Dakota Digital issues. It was good to have a fresh perspective on the situation and it made the job that much more fun to have someone to pick on, and return the favor.

When Flash wasn't helping me he was working on his 914. He replaced the master cylinder, took out the pedal cluster so that it could be rebuilt. Most of this time was spent learning how to do the job right (and drinking a beer or two).

No comments: