Thursday, January 15, 2015

(01-14-2015) GTI needs some attention for the new year

Last week my GTI developed a large leak at the water pump.  I ordered a new water pump and timing belt from where I usually get my parts, but it takes about a week to get the parts from them.

So, while the car is down, I decided to do a lot more work on Blondie to get her in top condition again.

I replaced the diverter valve with this Forge 007 diverter/blow-off valve.

The next job was to put new brakes on the rear of the car.  This was an easy job and didn't take too long.


Then replaced the half-shafts.  The inner boots on the originals had developed tears in them after 320,000 miles.



 Then it was time to replace the inner and outer tie rods.  These were totally seized, even using a torch to heat the threads didn't work, so in the end it was just easier to cut them off the car on both sides.  I don't have a picture of the new tie rods installed, but they're on and ready to go.  The hardest part of the tie rod install was the bellows boot on the passenger side, for some reason that just didn't want to fit - but we finally got it installed.  I ended up gently heating the boot with a heat gun and stretching it to make installation possible.
The list of things to do for Blondie has shrank a little bit, but there is still a lot of work left before she hits the road again.  Hopefully this weekend I can finish up the suspension and brake changes and then move onto the original problem of fixing the water pump and some vacuum leaks.

No comments: