Tuesday, July 18, 2006

07-15-2006 - What is that noise?


For the first few days after getting the car home I worked on unloading the car. James had packed it full of boxes of stuff related to the car (and I still haven't figured out what all of the stuff is...). I worked to get the car licensed and insured, and took the car for an occasional drive down to the lake and back. Great fun!

After a few days I noticed a new sound. Some sort of loose and vibrating noise that was driving me nuts. Soon afterwards the alternator belt started to squeal and upon closer inspection I found the the lower alternator bracket had came loose (vibration noise) and causing the alternator to squeal. A quick run to Flash's house to pick up a stainless bolt and I was back in business (see picture above).

While I was under the car I noticed that the oil pan appears to be leaking as well as the brass connectors for the coolant connections (see picture, again). And James had mentioned that the intake leaked oil, so that'll be taken care of at the same time. Also, I've noticed some lifter noise and I want to get the lifters adjusted. Flash suggested taking the car to Steve Allen to fix the leaks and adjust the valves, since he has years of experience doing just that sort of thing for the race cars in the area.

Today, the tach adaptor from Dakota Digital is supposed to arrive and I should finally be able to see what kind of RPMs the car turns at highway speeds.

No comments: